Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Matt Harkins, candidate for Lorain Council Ward 6

Name: Matt Harkins

Political party: Democrat

Office sought: Lorain City Council Ward 6

Age: 35

Place of birth: Elyria

Address: 2405 East @9th

Length of residence in that community: 10 years

Twitter: na

Facebook: Harkins for Ward 6

Website: na

Occupation: Retail

Employer: Lowe's

Elected office experience: This is my first time running for an elected position.

Non-elected office experience: I have served on the board of the Lake Erie Landlords Association, which has a strong presence in the city of Lorain. I am currently on the board of Habitat for Humanity.


Education: I graduated from Bowling Green State University with a degree in Construction Management.

Marital status: Married

Children: 6 boys

Organizations:   
Lake Erie Landlord Association
Habitat for Humanity
Boy Scouts – Eagle Scout and current leader. I have been involved in scouts as a volunteer since I earned my Eagle Scout Award.

Should you be elected, what are three specific areas you’d like to change, address, improve or further research, and how specifically would you go about it?:
The three specific areas I plan to address as part of City Council are jobs, safety, and cosmetic issues. First and foremost, I am a strong advocate of bring more job opportunities into Lorain. I firmly believe promoting the use of Black River Landing is an essential part of that. The more people we bring into Lorain, the more money we will bring in to local businesses, which is enable them to grow.

Safety is also an essential area to focus on. I have been very fortunate to be able to work with the Lorain police in the past, and I look forward to more opportunities in the future. I have been endorsed by the Lorain FOP, and I plan to live up to their expectations as an advocate for Lorain.

Last but certainly not least, I want to help address the cosmetic issues of the city; roads filled with pot holes, condemned houses, abandoned buildings, etc. Lorain is a great city, and I want it to look great to visitors coming into the city. I want the people, who have made Lorain their home, to enjoy the beauty of a rejuvenated city.


Whether for past accomplishments or future goals, why should voters elect you?
Voters should elect me due to both my past accomplishments and my future goals. I have worked hard my entire life. I have gone into every task and job with the highest level of focus and dedication, and that is what I want to bring into my position on city council. Lorain is my home. I live in Lorain, I own property in Lorain, and I’m raising my family in Lorain. As a resident and father of six boys, I care deeply about the future of this city.

No comments:

Post a Comment